A unicode Siouan, IPA, Cyrillic, Greek, west European font -- FREE.

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Sun Jan 16 22:38:17 UTC 2005

If you are looking for a good font that contains all
the characters necessary to type any Siouan language
including the characters used by James Dorsey, I'd
suggest "Gentium" -- It was
recommended to me at the LSA meeting by several of the
people promoting
the use of Unicode fonts as a standard.  You can
download it free from
the following website:
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium

It also has all the various accented characters used
across Europe, a very
complete inventory of IPA symbols plus Cyrillic and
Greek for all the Balkanists among us, and a huge
selection of overstriking diacritics for any characters
that might be wanting.  Using this as a standard would
circumvent the problem created by the fact that the
present Siouan sets don't seem to work with the Mac.
If your computer can handle Unicode, then this font
will provide just about everything you would possibly
need.