Male vs. female speech

David Kaufman dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 19 21:23:02 UTC 2005

Hi all,

As I've been perusing the Dorsey/Swanton Biloxi dictionary and texts, I've been noticing many instances of male vs. female speech patterns.  The one simple example I can think of at the moment is the optional declarative particle na for a male speaker, and ni for a female speaker (and, if I remember correctly, the question particle wo for male, wa for female).  It seems to be most prominent in commands, and there appear to be different command forms of verbs for male to male, male to female or child, female to female, female to male, etc.

I'm wondering if this is a common feature of all Siouan languages, or is Taneks different in this respect.

Dave