Algonquian ( or ther group?) term for White Buffalo Calf Woman?

phute-khniyanyan phute-khniyanyan at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jan 21 12:34:27 UTC 2005

The Lakhota have a legend about the coming of the White Buffalo Calf
Woman, who brings the ceremonial pipe to the Lakhotas.  The Lakhota term
for this person is "Pte Hinchila Ska (or SaN) Win".  My question is: Do
groups other than Siouan have this same or similar legend?  If so, what
is this person called?
 I ask this because, years ago in BAE, I came across identical stories
of the Lakhota trickster character "Iktomi", and the strategy he uses to
capture ducks by having them dance with their eyes closed, which was
identical to an Algonquian legend and their trickster character, even
though the Algonquian source of the legend was transcribed at a time
period when the Algonquian source was located far to the northeast of
the current location of the Lakhota.
Because the Algonquian were widely dispersed, it seems that a term for
White Buffalo Calf Woman would have been existed within this group, too.