Dances with Wolves.

Jonathan Holmes okibjonathan at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 21 17:23:02 UTC 2005

When "Dances With Wolves" first came out I found out that a couple of Lakota friends (Doris Leader Charge who is also in a couple of non-speaking scenes, and Albert White Hat, Sr.) had been instrumental in teaching the cast how to speak Lakota. Unfortunately other Lakota speakers from both Pine Ridge and Rosebud who watched the movie gave the cast an overall B+ for their ability. My Pawnee friends gave higher marks for the Pawnee language used in the movie. "They spoke good Pawnee." Still, the movie did much better than some other movies in the past.

"R. Rankin" <rankin at ku.edu> wrote:
For those of you who like Kevin Costner or Floyd Red
Crow Westerman and want to hear some spoken Lakota (or
that mysterious language no one can identify that is
supposed to be Pawnee), I see that the PAX network has
the movie scheduled for tomorrow (Friday) evening at 8
p.m. Central Time. I don't know about other zones, but
the network is nationwide.