Sign Language (was Dances with Wolves)

rwd0002 at unt.edu rwd0002 at unt.edu
Tue Jan 25 16:50:05 UTC 2005

Quoting Marino <mary.marino at usask.ca>:

> At 01:02 PM 1/24/2005, you wrote:
> >Quoting cstelfer at ucalgary.ca:
> >
> >I observed this at the first "No Borders" gathering of all peoples who
> >self-designate as Nakota, which includes Assiniboine, Stoney, (and
> Yanktonai,
> >although there were only two or three of them there).
>
> Do the Yanktonai self-designate as Nakota?   Parks and DeMallie say they do
> not, in their 1992 article in Anthropological Linguistics, on the basis of
> data gathered during the Sioux Dialect Survey.
>
> Mary Marino/University of Saskatchewan

I've have always gone with Parks and DeMallie (1992) on that, and referred
(even in print) anyone who needed to be put on the path of truth to them.  They
do self-designate as Dakota, right?  That is why it is very confusing to refer
to the Yankton/Yanktonai as Nakota or N-dialect.  The only groups who self-
designate as Nakota (or Nakoda) are the Assiniboines and the Stoneys, right?
Correct me if I misunderstood.

Willem