Assiniboine and Stoney.

cstelfer at ucalgary.ca cstelfer at ucalgary.ca
Tue Jan 25 22:27:05 UTC 2005

Hi,

   There was a guy named John Laurie who worked for the government of
Alberta who wrote a small grammar and a dictionary (for South Stoney).
I've seen them in the archives of the Glenbow Museum in downtown
Calgary, and they're not bad.  They were written in the 50's and Mr.
Laurie went and lived with a family out at Morley in order to do the
work.  He was made an honourary chief at some point in his career.  I'm
going to try and get our university library to get a copy of John
Laurie's stuff (he also wrote down a lot of stories and cultural info),
because the cost for me to copy everything myself would be quite
expensive.  I believe Dr. Newman up at the U of A is using Laurie's
stuff for his work, and last summer David Rood told me he had a copy of
the dictionary.

   As far as I know, Cree has had no impact on South Stoney.  The Cree
would have had to go all the way through Blackfoot country to get to
the Stoneys, and the Blackfoot and the Cree never got along too well.
I think that South Stoney might be more likely to have influences from
Kootenay, Tsuut'ina (Sarcee) and Blackfoot before it had influences
from Cree.  There are some Cree people who live at Morley now, but that
is a recent development I believe.  I think the Blackfoot, on the other
hand, intermarried with the Cree on occasion, and there are certainly a
good number of Cree-Blackfoot marriages now.  As for the North Stoneys,
from what I've seen the vocabulary corresponds more or less perfectly
with Stoney and other Dakotan languages - I've never heard of either of
the Stoney branches being subjected to any Cree influence either
politically or linguistically.