Dakota Dialects (was RE: Sign Language (was Dances with Wolves))

Marino mary.marino at usask.ca
Tue Jan 25 22:56:32 UTC 2005

John,

Parks and DeMallie don't actually say anything directly about Yanktonai
self-identification, but since 'dakhota'  was one of the words they
elicited and which they offer among 20-odd sets showing the differences
among the 5 dialects, their Yanktonai respondents were clearly not
self-identifying as 'nakhota'.  Maybe 'self-identification'  in a
socio-cultural context is a different sort of mental operation from
responding to a dialect survey. This is by no means impossible, and is part
of what prompted my question.

They don't actually discuss the origins of the 3-way analysis.  Riggs
identified 4 forms of Sioux and reported the h-k-g correspondence and
seemed to assign as much importance to it, as to d-n-l.

You're right about the Council Fires.  That tradition must predate the
westward expansion and socio-political elaboration of the Teton.

Mary