Assiniboine and Stoney.

cstelfer at ucalgary.ca cstelfer at ucalgary.ca
Tue Jan 25 22:59:23 UTC 2005

> Quoting cstelfer at ucalgary.ca:
>
> Corey,
>
> Is there an analysis of stress patterns in Stoney somewhere? I've been
> trying to
> work it out for Assiniboine and I'm finding it maddenly complex. Shaw's
> 1985
> article in the IJAL doesn't seem to apply, so I'm wondering if there's
> something
> published on Stoney that might shed some light on Asb.
>
> Linda

Well, yes, a lady named Corrie Rhyassen-Erdman wrote her MA entitled
"Stress in Stoney" in 1997.  However the title is a little misleading
since she is dealing only with North Stoney (Alexis Band), which it turns
out, has a completely different stress system from South Stoney.  I am
currently writing a paper where I am analyzing both the North and South
Stoney stress patterns in Optimality Theory, and trying to figure out how
they might have historically evolved.  In doing research for this paper I
ordered Levin (1964) through our library, but after looking at the
phonology section, it appeared to me that Assiniboine stress was identical
to that of Dakota as described and analyzed by Shaw (1980).  Is this not
correct?

    I can photocopy Rhyassen-Erdman's thesis and send it to you, but I
imagine it won't be much help since the North Stoney stress pattern is
so different from both South Stoney and Dakota.  Still, it might help
to look at it, so maybe send me your address off-list if you want me
to send it to you.

    For others interested in Stoney resources, I should list the other two
University of Calgary Master's Theses written on Stoney (these are
both based on the South Stoney dialect spoken in Morley):

Bellam, Jay E.  1975.  "Studies in Stoney phonology and morphology."

Harbeck, Warren A.  1980.  "Some agreement phenomena in Stoney."

Should send copies of all three theses to John Boyle?  If anybody's
interested in seeing these please contact me.

Corey.