Laurie's dictionary

ROOD DAVID S rood at spot.Colorado.EDU
Tue Jan 25 23:17:54 UTC 2005

The Siouan Archives has a copy of Laurie's dictionary and his grammar of
Stoney; the dictionary is in electronically readable form, but in the
Siouan Archive character set (only upper case roman letters with two and
three character sequences for anything else).  It's organized
alphabetically by English within part of speech categories (i.e. all the
verbs are first, all the adverbs are last, with each category alphabetized
separately).  I haven't figured out the writing system, and it doesn't
appear that he's marked stress.  Below is a little sample from the middle
of the archive's file, the nouns; line numbers refer to what we would
nowadays call "fields" in a database.  This has not been proofread.  The
whole dictionary is in seven Word files (but it's an old version of Word
-- my computer today refused to recognize the formatting, but reproduced
the substance of the files anyway).

1 PEEN YAN HEEN
2 CRANE
3 NOUN