synchronization of gesture and speech (was: Sign Language)

Heike Bödeker heike.boedeker at netcologne.de
Fri Jan 28 16:08:39 UTC 2005

There's quite impressive work on synchronization of gesture (not
necessarily coincident with sign language even where one would be
available, too) and speech by John Haviland and David Wilkins for
some Australian and Mesoamerican languages (IIRC also in comparison
to Dutch). Alas I can't offer a comprehensive bibliography right
away.

When I did fieldwork people did stress the importance of accompanying
speech by appropriate gestures. The problem is, alas, they didn't
specify what was to be considered appropriate. And neither had I read
the abovementioned authors at that time, so I didn't know even where
to start to look :-((((

All the best,

Heike