Male vs. female speech

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Thu Jan 20 18:31:57 UTC 2005

Sara Trechter has a paper she did comparing the gender-sensitive modals
in the various Siouan languages.  I don't remember if she published it
or not.  The Mississippi Valley languages all mark gender of speaker
(except Winnebago/Hocank), but Mandan and Biloxi mark gender of
addressee (and Biloxi, the speaker as well), and at least one of the
particles was cognate between MA and BI.  There is a good deal of
cognacy within Mississippi Valley as I recall.  The Biloxi data deserve
a lot more attention.  Most of us have only looked at the tabular data
in Dorsey & Swanton.  The texts contain a lot on usage as well.  I can't
recall how much Einaudi might have said about them.

Bob