Male vs. female speech

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Thu Jan 20 21:08:08 UTC 2005

 >  I haven't notice that gender particles as evidentials affect the use
of verbs at all although they do tend to occur with certain meanings
more than others.  Verbs of presence or arrival often will receive an
assertion particle if such information is a change of scene or new
information, and therefore have a kind of deictic effect, locating the
speaker with the respect to the utterance, or so I argues in my
dissertation on Lakhota gender. This seems to be the case with the OP
texts I've looked at as well.

	>  Some languages like Newari and a bunch in South America
(whose names aren't at the tip of my fingers) have an intricate system
matching the use of specific evidentials, verb meanings, and person, but
I haven't found anything like this is Lakhota.

	RLR -- I think Aleksandra Aikhenvald probably has a number of
good papers on evidentials, especially in South America.  She worked in
the Vaupes region of Amazonia in Brazil and has written on evidentials.
She doesn't do any Siouan however.

	>  Lakhota seems to have a more fully developed system of
gendered illocutionary/affective force particles than the other
Mississippi Valley languages,

	RLR -- This certainly seems to be true, but I've always wondered
if part of it wasn't that most of us arrived on the scene too late to
find examples of their full usage?  Bob