WINN TERM "FRENCH"

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Wed Jun 1 22:41:53 UTC 2005

> Radin's Winnebago French  =  Djimoxgemena

There are some problems with the way this is spelled
that may give someone who is smarter than I am some
clue about the source of this term.

The sequence -MO- shouldn't be possible in this
language.  It would need to be either /maN/ or /muN/,
and the latter is very uncommon in Siouan languages.
So what does MO represent here?

The same is true of the sequence -ME-.   It shouldn't
be possible and might be /miN/.

It is possible that the -NA on the end is the definite
article, /-ra/ in the nasal environment.  If so, we can
subtract that from the part that needs analysis.  The
sequence DJI- would go back to an earlier /ti-/.

Is the passage where this word occurs in Radin talking
about a woman, as opposed to a man?  If so, then
the -ME could be part of a female name, i.e., /-miN/, I
suppose.  That would leave Djimoxge to be accounted
for.

I wonder if this really means 'French' or whether it is
the personal name of a French individual?

This is the best I can do so far.