Attn. Siouan/Caddoan Conference participants.

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Thu Jun 9 20:25:32 UTC 2005

The Cultural Committee of the Kaw Nation is cooking for
us Friday night at their Kaw City complex.  There is no
charge for dinner, which will include bison, corn soup,
grape dumplings and frybread.  (The bison meat will be
confined to one dish so that Buffalo Clan members can
isolate it if they wish.)  I asked about remuneration
and my Kaw consultant's granddaughter, who is
ramrodding this effort, suggested that each person
attending bring some sort of memorabilia -- such as a
T-shirt or the like -- that is representative of
his/her university or community.  These modest gifts
will be divided among the 4 or so people who are
cooking or helping.  That's the way they like to do it
(although sometimes cash in an envelope is given), and
I think it is a good idea.  After all, each of us would
expect to pay upwards of $25 or $30 for a restaurant
dinner, as we did in previous years.  So perhaps each
of you can bring something along for these tribal
aides?  If it's anything wearable like said T-shirt,
I'd suggest larger rather than smaller size.  Anyone
who is too skinny can wear it as pyjamas.

I hope we can make them feel truly appreciated!