Siouan Conference titles thus far.

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Thu Jun 9 23:10:41 UTC 2005

Here is a list of the titles I have received abstracts
for so far.  There is still space and time left for
several more contributions.  I hope some of you will
consider presenting.  The listed deadline is tomorrow,
but we will be happy to continue to accept new
titles/abstracts up until the time of the meeting next
week.  It is just that beyond tomorrow I can't be sure
I'll be able to get new abstracts printed up.

This listing below is alphabetical.  I will try to
schedule similar topics into same sessions (a.m. or
p.m.) and will send a program out soon.  I think it
might be best to try to hold our discussions of
language teaching projects, methods, problems, etc. on
Saturday morning because of the conflict with the Osage
dances at Hominy later in the day and evenings.  That
way the maximum number of potential Native American
participants can benefit.  The more theoretical talks,
then, can be scheduled on Friday and on Saturday
afternoon for hard-core, straight-leg linguists.

As discussed previously, the Cultural Committee of the
Kaw Nation is preparing the conference dinner on Friday
evening at the Tribal Complex in Kaw City.  I hope
everyone will be able to attend the dinner, as the
Cultural Committee is really putting themselves out on
our behalf.

Bob Rankin and Justin McBride, Co-organizers.

________________________

Siouan and Caddoan Conference Titles and Authors as of
June 9, 2005.

Altschuler, Daniel (Rutgers University) Pitch accent on
Osage Verbs.

Boyle, John (University of Chicago) Configurationality,
VP, and the Syntactic Status of the Pronominal Prefixes
in Hidatsa,

de Reuse, Willem (University of North Texas) An
intriguing morphophonemic similarity between Siouan and
Athabascan.

Graczyk, Randolph  (Pryor, MT)  The Hayden Materials: A
19th Century Crow Sketch and Vocabulary.

Grimm, Ted  (Wichita, KS)  Siouan Stops and Their
Allophones.

Ingham, Bruce  (School of Oriental and African Studies)
Adverbial function in Lakota.

Kaufman, David V.  (San Jose, CA) Biloxi Phonology:  A
Re-analysis of the Dorsey-Swanton U-Circumflex and
U-Brève.

Koontz, John E.  (University of Colorado and NIST)
Teton Dakota Noun Stem Morphology.

Larson, Rory M.  (University of Nebraska) Acculturation
Terms in Omaha.

McBride, Justin  (Kaw Nation of Oklahoma)  Life After
Death:  A Bright Future for the Extinct Kanza Language.

Quintero, Carolyn  (Interlingua)  Revisiting akxa and
apa the Central Positional Articles in Osage.

Quintero, Carolyn (Interlingua) An Osage Myth: The
Raccoons and the Crawfish.

Rankin, Robert L. (University of Kansas) Interpreting
the Transcriptions of James Owen Dorsey (Consonantism).

Rankin, Robert L. (University of Kansas)  Open
discussion of the role of “grammar” and memorization in
Native American language retention and revitalization.

Open discussion of language teaching – hints, problems
and methodologies (if desired by participants).