Comparative Grammar workshop

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri Jun 24 04:49:22 UTC 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, John Boyle wrote:
> I agree with Bob.  This kind of workshop would be very valuable for
> those of us preparing to write descriptive grammars (as well as those
> of us who are interested in historical and comparative linguistics).

This has elements of a notion that Bob has put forward before.  I think
the expression used was something like "an elicitation guide" or
"suggestions for Siouanists doing fieldwork."  I remember contributing
some fairly informal notes to something for Louanna Furbee.  The idea was
to list verbs that tended to be irregular and might be overlooked, suggest
what personal forms might not be predictable from others, etc.  To some
extent, of course, we use Boas & Deloria in that light, though this is
more because it is so detailed on morphology than because Dakota prepares
you for everything you might find in the area of Siouan morphology or
phonology.  Of course, Boas & Deloria isn't much help with syntax and
Dakota phonology.

I don't think there's much long term point to this sort of meeting if it
doesn't lead to some sort of publication.  Langacker's volume on
Uto-Aztecan is a sort of prolegomena to a series of Uto-Aztecan grammars.
I don't know what the series was ultimately like.

> Although I think it is important to look at how the languages work
> syntactically as well.  Here I mean things like, how do adverbs work?
> Does the language allow movement for topic or focus constructions?
> How do the languages do coordination? etc.

I agree that syntax would be an important part of this.

If people want to meet in Boulder that's fine with me, not to mention very
convenient.  I'd be willing to help with local arrangements.