Comparative Grammar workshop

Catherine Rudin carudin1 at wsc.edu
Fri Jun 24 15:25:36 UTC 2005

David and I crossed notes, and seem to be thinking along the same lines.

3 days sounds good to me, but then, as someone whose institution will cover some of it, I may not be as concerned about housing costs as some others are.  If people are thinking about fall for this, we'll need to plan fast ... summer is half over and fall calendar is filling up.  Weekend is definitely better.
Catherine

>>> rood at spot.Colorado.EDU 06/24/05 9:48 AM >>>

	Ok, now that we seem to have a bit of a picture of what this event
might be, let me leave that part of it to Bob and John B. (and John K.)
	Boulder seems to have been designated as the location, though I
won't mind if a consensus develops that we should go to Ponca City
instead.
	We seem to be talking about looking at massive numbers of details,
which require time to mull over, and which cause brain rebellion after a
certain length of time.  So I'm guessing we might want 3 days for this,
perhaps the evening of an arrival day, three days of meetings, and
departure on the fourth morning?  That's 4 nights of lodging??  I would
guess that we should expect to pay out at least $75 per night for sleeping
space other than at John's house.  Is that too much (either time or
money)?  We are mostly professional academics, so we will have no trouble
talking for whatever length of time we are together.
	Would people prefer to straddle a weekend or make it all mid-week?
I would vote for a Thursday night arrival, Fri Sat and Sun meetings with
Monday morning departures, but I'm open.
	If we try to do this during football season, I'll have to avoid
home game weekends.  There's no point planning around the weather: we can
have airport-closing blizzards any time after Sept. 3rd, and outdoor
swimming weather into the first week of November, depending on nature's
whims in any particular year (and maybe both in the same year).
	Do people think there are likely to be more than 20 participants?

	So far we've heard from only a few folks about this -- are there
silent bystanders out there who would like to submit an opinion?

	David

David S. Rood
Dept. of Linguistics
Univ. of Colorado