Comparative Grammar workshop

John Boyle jpboyle at uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 24 16:26:05 UTC 2005

It looks like we are talking about three different types of end
products, ranging from short term to mid-term to long range.  The
first item is an idea of what we want to look at with quite a bit of
specifics (this would be something of an itinerary of the workshop
itself).  This would be something to take to the field this summer to
gather data or to comb through our respective data stacks and pull
forth relevant examples.  The second would be the development of a
Siouan field worker's guide of useful things to elicit and look for
in any given language (this could be something a little more tangible
and possibly spiral bound).  The third would be something that is
actually published, possibly in conjunction with the Comparative
Siouan Dictionary.  Something like a Comparative Siouan Grammar
(maybe give ourselves a two year time table after the initial
workshop).  I would suggest three sections: the first being one of
short sketches (written by individuals working on those languages -
something akin to Rood and Taylor 2000); the second could possibly be
a reconstruction of the the respective sub-branches (for instance,
Randy and I could do a sketch of Proto-Missouri Valley.  Other
sections could include the other sub-families); and the third and
final section a sketch of what proto-Siouan was like (that is - what
can we reconstruct).  Does this sound like a worthwhile and feasible
project?

Regarding a date, how would the end of September work for people?

John Boyle