Comparative Grammar workshop

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Mon Jun 27 16:38:41 UTC 2005

> Delaying the workshop
> until we have some time to make careful plans
> (including assigning an
> editor for the book and having that person explore
> publication
> possibilities -- currently I like working with
> Benjamins the best) is a
> wise move.

Yes, I wouldn't be able to have anything prepared until
Spring at the very least.  Most of my time will need to
be devoted to my Kaw grammar.  While some energetic
soul may wish to undertake editing duties for an
on-paper publisher, we might also want to consider
publishing the whole thing electronically, either as a
CD/DVD or on the web.  That way if someone experiences
a problem with deadlines, it won't hold everyone else
up.  It also simplifies preparing copy.  "Photo-ready
copy" in the publisher's sense would be out the window
as would various publishers' nonsensical (cost-cutting)
ways of handling references, etc.  Just agree on a font
and margins and you're in business.  No waiting for
years for availability either.

> For what it's worth, I don't like piggy-backed
> conferences.
> It's hard for me, personally, to justify being away
> from home more than
> 3-4 days total, including travel time, and I find I
> don't do very well at
> either meeting if I'm trying to do two together.

I agree it would be a bit of an imposition to try to
come up with two or more distinct papers for
piggybacked meetings.  But we could simply have the
comparative workshop BE the next Siouan Conference.
Individuals who don't wish to participate in the
workshop topics could do their own papers in one or
more sessions.

As for comparative topics, let's wait and see what an
inventory of possibilities looks like and then try to
get people who have written on particular areas to
attack that particular topic.  It is not out of the
question for more than one person to work on a topic
nor is it excluded that one person undertake more than
a single topic.  I'd like to keep things as flexible as
possible and hear from lots of other linguists.