OSAGE OTHOGRAPHY

Jimm GoodTracks goodtracks at gbronline.com
Wed Jun 29 04:43:55 UTC 2005

There is such a great deal of excitement and anticipation for the
Comparative Grammar Workshop, I will apologize for this interruption of the
mundane grassroots community information here.

Sunday evening, our family returned from the Osage Iroshka Dances at
Pawhuska.  While there, I received a pamplet "Osage Government Reform
Project", which outlined Public Law 108-431, The Osage Reform Act of Dec. 3,
2004.  In short, it allows the Osage to choose their own form of government,
set standards for membership, etc.  It seems, previously, only headright
heirs had a vote in tribal business.

On the front of the leaflet was an Osage Language insciption and an English
gloss:
"A new day's coming, let's go into it together."
However, it was the Osage script that caught my attention as I attempted to
make out the words in Wazhazhe.  The orthography had what appeared to be
Greek letters.  I noted an inverted "V" (lamda), an odd looking "p/b" (phi),
an inverted "U" and an "a" that reminded me of those Christian fish symbols
seen on individual cars and trucks around town.  Some smaller inverted "v"
apparently was for a nasal.

I have no scanner to show here the exact script, but it looked something
like this, keeping in mind the four symbols as described above:
HVvBV  Hu-a (fish symb)  THV-HV
ZHO-KU-La(fish)  Av-KV-TSE  Av-KU-Tha (fish).

I ashed Ryan Red Corn, who will be studing linguists at KU next year, just
what sounds did those symbols represent.  He said he had taken a few class
in Pawhuska under the Elder Mogree Look Out, Head Committeman and
Grandfather to the Drum Keeper, C.Rumsey.  He told that there was confussion
from the students over the sounds, so Mogree decided to clearify the sounds
with this new set of symbols.  Carol Quintero is probably aware of these
individual othographies, which may even be different in all of the three
Osage communities, and so, she'll be able to help with this.

I was able to also get Mogree to say the sounds and he corrected the last
word to be "Av-KV-Tha (fish)".
I made a note of the following:

Hanba hua thaha    (lit:  Day coming when)
Zhukinla angatsi ankatha/o   (lit:  Together we go  we go forth)

In a related matter of LaFlesche's dictionary which is now in reprint at the
Tribal Museum, is there some guidelines as to how to determine where his
native Omaha influenced the citations, and how one may read the correct
Osage form back into those mis-citations?
Jimm