Comparative Grammar workshop

lcumberl at indiana.edu lcumberl at indiana.edu
Thu Jun 30 15:26:58 UTC 2005

I guess I was forming a different notion of our objective - I imagined
collaborative articles that pulled together what each language does with a
particular area, say, post-verbal TAM particles, to provide comparison/
equivalencies across the languages possibly including a consensus list of the
kinds of sentences that can be used to elicit the meanings found in the various
languages. It would be interesting to see where the languages have matching
particles, where there is overlap, and where there are gaps. Continuing with
this one example, many of the TAM particles in Asb have been lost (as is
probably true of a number of the languages we work on) but seeing what is done
in related languages would give a handle on how to look for others, either
through elicitation or by identifying them in older texts. It seems to me that a
comprehensive comparison of even one or two such topics would easily occupy us
for an entire workshop and produce a few very useful articles.

A project involving a wider range of topics would be an ambitious undertaking -
on a scale that would merit a funded seminar, maybe at the School of American
Research, or through Wenner Gren, or something like that. A workshop with a
limited scope would give us a good start on a couple topics and allow us to
define how a larger seminar might be structured.

Linda