Comparative Grammar workshop

Justin McBride jmcbride at kawnation.com
Tue Jun 28 13:48:26 UTC 2005

> ...While some energetic soul may wish to undertake editing duties for an
> on-paper publisher, we might also want to consider publishing the whole
> thing electronically, either as a CD/DVD or on the web.  That way if
> someone experiences a problem with deadlines, it won't hold everyone else
> up.  It also simplifies preparing copy.  "Photo-ready copy" in the
> publisher's sense would be out the window as would various publishers'
> nonsensical (cost-cutting) ways of handling references, etc.  Just agree
> on a font and margins and you're in business.  No waiting for years for
> availability either.

An electronic format makes a lot of sense.  For starters, everyone who would
be interested in the product is by now familiar enough with their computers
that a such an approach would no longer seem either overly technical or
juvenile. Electronic media documents are comparatively simple to create,
edit, expand, modify, copy, and distribute.  Cheap, too.  Furthermore, a
wide variety of language examples could be easily referenced as hyperlinks
to elucidate this point or that--it would be like embedding the entire
appendix in the chapters themselves, but still preserving both as individual
entities within the document.  And if a paper document is required at some
point further down the road, the content would already be there ready to
take to the printers.  As Dr. Rankin says, the first step is to decide on a
stylesheet and all the associated trappings.  For that, I'd recommend use of
some sort of Unicode font (Arial Unicode really is pretty amazing), and a
more or less standard orthography for presentation of language data from all
corners of the Siouan family.  I would be very happy to volunteer for some
of the editing no matter how it's done.  And I'd love to go to the workshop,
too.  I think next summer would be best.

-jm