Comparative Grammar workshop

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Thu Jun 30 14:44:53 UTC 2005

> Linda, if you really want to do TAM I'll withdraw my
> suggestion to take care of that topic. One of the
> reasons why I wanted to do it was that there are, at
> least in Lakota, lots of badly underdescribed
> auxiliaries involved, but as your mention of syntax
> implies, this might be the same in Assiniboine.

Actually, there are a lot of such things in all the
languages.  TAM morphology contains the greatest
variety of DIFFERENT inflectional morphemes in the
family.  Some, in languages like Tutelo or Biloxi,
remain unidentified to this day.  There is no reason
why two or more people couldn't cooperate on the TAM
topic (or perhaps split it into T, A, and M) and then
perhaps divide another topic a different way.  This
whole thing is completely open.  Let's don't worry
about who does what at the moment.  Trust me, there'll
be plenty of fun for everybody.  :-)

Why doesn't everyone make their own list of topics they
would like to see covered and then RANK ORDER them.
The organizers can then just amalgamate the lists and
submit the result for approval.  Could we maybe
accomplish that in the next couple of weeks sometime?
Do we need longer?

And congratulations to Linda!  We all look forward to
seeing the finished product of her research.