Iskousogos and ahpiracion de la S.

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Tue Mar 8 15:07:14 UTC 2005

> I know it's found in Argentina.  And in Chile, since an exchange
student from there once told an astounded Spanish class I was in that he
was pleased to be here in loh ehtaoh unioh.

All over the 'southern cone' of SA as well as circum-Caribbean and most
coastal areas.  Very widespread.  In most areas it's also a 'marker', in
the Labovian sense, of male speech, which tends to discourage
hypercorrection.

> One reference did attribute it to the Onate Expedition of 1601, though
I'm not positive that's right.

Onate may be right.  It's one of the early Span expeditions to the
interior plains of NA.