Meaning of Siouan word "Shke-ma."

Jonathan Holmes okibjonathan at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 18:13:22 UTC 2005

Louie,
The exact transcription on page 24 is:

L.    SHUPIDE THE THO UnHAY
S.   SHUPIDE THE THO UnHAY
      SHUPIDE THE THO UnHAY
      SHUPIDE THE THO UnHAY YO HAY YE OI

tail. MOnCHU SHKEMA SHUPIDE THE THO UnHAY
      SHUPIDE THE THO UnHAY
      SHUPIDE THE THO UnHAY YO HAY YE YA

SHUPIDE -- WHEN I ARRIVED ON THE SCENE, YOU RAN AWAY.
MOnCHU SHEMA -- THATS A SIOUAN NAME, WE DON'T KNOW WHAT IT MEANS. THE ONLY PART WE KNOW IS MOnCHU, THAT MEANS BEAR -- OUR LANGUAGE IS SIMILAR -- DONT KNOW IF ITS SPOTTED BEAR, OR BLACK BEAR -- SIOUAN NAME. WHEN THIS MAN ARRIVED ON THE SCENE OF THE BATTLE, THIS SIOUX (MOnCHU SHKEMA) RAN AWAY.

SHUPIDE - WHEN I COME
MATO - BEAR IN SIOUAN DIALECTS - DAKOTA

I do not know if this has been "published" as a complete work. I have a Xeroxed copy that was given to me years ago. I hope this helps.
Jonathan

Louis Garcia <Louis_Garcia at littlehoop.cc> wrote:

Jonathan:

Would you please give the full cite for �Ponca Songs Sung and Translated�.

I would like to order or view a copy.

Jon Orens MD show me mimeographed texts 40 years ago.

I met Lamont Brown once at a pow-wow.

Later,

LouieG