Iskousogos (Re: Siouan etymology?) (fwd)

David Kaufman dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 20:46:57 UTC 2005

I was wondering this myself.  As far as I know in Cherokee, de- or te- is inanimate plural suffix and ani- animate plural, such as te-tlukv (trees) and ani-asgaya (men, people).  Not sure how this compares to Mohawk, Seneca, and its other cousins farther north.

Dave

Wallace Chafe <chafe at linguistics.ucsb.edu> wrote:
I haven't been following this very closely, but I don't know what led
someone to think of -g- as an Iroquoian plural.
Wally

http://mail.yahoo.com