Meaning of Siouan word "Shke-ma."

are2 at buffalo.edu are2 at buffalo.edu
Sun Mar 13 04:12:40 UTC 2005

In general, I hesitate to say anything about songs due to sacredness
and other issues.  However, the 2 comments I have back up the original
translations and transcriptions given by the Elders (without a need to
posit additional reconstruction).

>>ha ni'kka bthe (ta ni'ke) egi's^e - Chief (commander) / you will
be / you said  (as given by T. Leonard)

Ths is certainly likely to be 'bthe' 'I go' or 'I become.'  It is used
as an inchoative auxiliary as well as a main verb in modern Omaha.
There's no need to reconstruct or posit it as bdhiN 'I am.'

Also in
>>I  ka-ga-ma  the,  i  shay  tho,  ‘you  said  he  was my friend!’
(in original and R. Larson posting)

the 'ma' is likely the progressive auxiliary 'ama' and not a particle
based on moNthiN or a causative.

I can only be amazed by Elder speaker abilities to translate.