Fw: Iowa-Ho-Chunk Languages

Jonathan Holmes okibjonathan at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 16 17:21:11 UTC 2005

I have read two versions of the origin of Sioux:

1. The word Sioux is a French Canadian rendering of the Ojibway word nadewisou, meaning "treacherous snakes."

2. The word Sioux is taken from the abbreviated Algonquin (Ojibway or Ottawa) compound, nadowe meaning "snake" plus siu meaning "little," and the French Canadian rendering of it was spelled Nadou�ssioux.

Jonathan

"R. Rankin" <rankin at ku.edu> wrote:
> Nodaway River = Ojibway word for Snake (Dakota?)
> Na;to;we. John Kootz has
> more on this on his website.
>
> Nishnabotna River = Curruption of Anishinabe

The only thing I can add to Louis' contribution is the
observation that 'natowe' is also the basis of the
variously-spelled 'nadowessiwa', the origin of the
English word 'Sioux'. For many years it was assumed to
refer to snakes in an Algonquian language, but more
recently was shown to mean 'those who speak a different
language' -- I think by Ives Goddard. (This may be
what's on John's web site. I haven't had time to
check.) So Vogel may have had it right or he might
have been repeating an erronious legendary account.