Fw: Iowa-Ho-Chunk Languages

Jonathan Holmes okibjonathan at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 16 18:22:07 UTC 2005

Concerning the meaning of Nodaway, and Nishnabotna, I have read the following meanings ascribed to them:

1. Nodaway is a Potawatomi word meaning "placid," or "tranquil," or "peaceful."

2. Nishnabotna is an Otoe word meaning "creek where they make boats."

I have also seen some texts refer to Nodaway meaning "fordable," and Nishnabotna meaning "not fordable" or "crossed with a canoe," but no tribal origin was assigned to the meanings.

I hope this may help in some way.
Jonathan

Louis Garcia <Louis_Garcia at littlehoop.cc> wrote:
st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
Members:

Iowa Place Names of Indian Origin

By Virgil J. Vogel (he passed on a few years ago)

University of Iowa Press, Iowa City 1983

Nodaway River = Ojibway word for Snake (Dakota?) Na;to;we. John Kootz has more on this on his website.

Nishnabotna River = Curruption of Anishinabe

Later,

LouieG