Sioux.

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Sat Mar 26 15:00:10 UTC 2005

>> The synonymy for Dakota/Sioux is by Doug, of course,
>> and quite a tour de
>> force, but if Bob accidentally attributed it to Ives
>> Goddard ...

> My apologies - it was David Costa, not Bob Rankin,
> who made the slip.

I wasn't talking about the Handbook treatment, but I
did mention Ives as a source of the "another language"
analysis.  The reason is that this is a topic I've
discussed a couple of times over the years with Ives
personally.  I do know that Doug Parks was extremely
conscientious in consulting a variety of scholars over
a multiyear period about the synonymy in the Plains
Volume, so the Handbook article is probably the
definitive statement on the matter.