Biloxi banana

David Kaufman dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 29 21:01:53 UTC 2005

Hi all,

There is the Biloxi word "haataN tani" glossed as "banana" in Dorsey's dictionary.  The "tani" part is "big" I know, but I'm having trouble locating any cognates in other Siouan languages (or Muskogean) for haataN.  I just recently found out about the native fruit "pawpaw" and I'm wondering if haataN may be the word for it (especially since pawpaws do look like smaller versions of bananas), thus "haataN tani" = large pawpaw = banana, perhaps?  Does anyone have the word for pawpaw in other Siouan languages for comparison?

Thanks!

Dave