Biloxi banana

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Tue Mar 29 22:21:19 UTC 2005

Well, there shouldn't be cognates for 'banana' since
it's an introduced fruit in North America.  But Quapaw
uses /to z^oNke/ for both 'pawpaw' and the newer
'banana', so they take advantage of the same
similarity, but the words are different.  Quapaw /to/
refers originally to the 'Indian potato', Dakotan mdo
or blo, but the compound is 'pawpaw'.  I don't have the
separate meaning for /z^oNke/, but one of the Quapaws
speculated that it referred to 'sweet'.  It is not the
normal verb for 'be sweet' however, and I don't have it
in other usages.  Maybe there's an Omaha /z^oNge/ that
someone can identify.

I think some of the other Dhegiha dialects may use
something like /ttewadhe/ for 'banana', but I'm not
sure.  It's mentioned in Gilmore's ethnobotany of the
northern plains from 1919.

Bob