argument structure k'u etc.

Pamela Munro munro at ucla.edu
Thu Mar 31 15:22:47 UTC 2005

David,

Of course I agree with you that Lakhota 'give' only marks two arguments
on the verb. But can you explain why you feel the patient (I agree with
you that it doesn't seem right to call it either an accusative or a
direct object) is not an argument? Is there syntactic evidence that, for
example, in a sentence with three nouns ('The chief gave the horse to
the woman', or the like) the patient ('horse') behaves syntactically
different from 'woman'?

Pam

--
Pamela Munro,