Padoucah (fwd)

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Thu May 5 20:22:12 UTC 2005

Interesting -- thanks for the ethnohistorical
contribution.  This certainly looks like yet another
creative folk etymology and illustrates the fact that,
if you ask the speaker of a language to explain a
proper name that they don't have any real understanding
of, they make something up.  As is the case with
[pa'xoje~ ba'xoje] 'Ioway', they treat the /ppa-/ of
''Padouca'' as if it were 'head' and then try to find a
logical meaning for the rest, but like Mississippi and
''Mistersippi'', it doesn't quite jell.  The meaning
'Indian enemy to the West' fits with everything else we
know about the name though, and I take that part to be
accurate.  To some groups it seems to have become
specialized to Comanche or Apache, etc., but apparently
not the Osages.

Bob