MASCOUTIN

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Thu May 26 11:53:22 UTC 2005

Quoting Koontz John E <John.Koontz at colorado.edu>:

> Isn't there a long history of confusion on this score connected with
> alternate etymologies of Mascoutin, "People of the Fire/Prarie" and
> application of one of these names (the latter?) to the Potawatomi?  I
> remember the ingredients, as it were, but not the details.

Exactly, John. Early scholars misidentified the Mascouten and this
misidentification persisted until 1972 when Ives brought out his "Historical
and Philological Evidence Regarding the Identification of the Mascouten”
(Ethnohistory 19, no.2 (1972): 123-34).

I have to be somewhere in two minutes, but I'll fill this in later.

Michael