Village of Make Believe Whitemen

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue May 31 14:57:40 UTC 2005

On Sat, 7 May 2005, Koontz John E wrote:
> I've wondered if bikkude might be Ioway-Otoe, e.g., bikhuj^e would mean
> 'moon-shooter'.  However, I'm not sure what the implication of such a name
> would be, and I'm just grasping at straws here.

It should be noted that if we take the form as a native Omaha-Ponca word,
then it would apear to mean 'to perform the action (or reach the state)
"kkude" by pressing'.  However, I have been unable to find any other
examples of -kkude.  The closest is the *-hkut-e stem meaning 'to shoot',
which becomes -kkide in OP by the regular shift of *u to i.

In a sense, then, the meaning of bikkude may be quite clear, we just don't
know what it is!

Another possibility is that the word involves some fairly sever
contractions that I'm not picking up on.

Again, I've asked a few people what bikkude might mean, but no one had any
ideas at the time.

I haven't actually looked any of the names up in Dorsey's slip file!