Wanikiya Tun -> omaka (fwd)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sat May 21 03:45:21 UTC 2005

This was set this aside to look up the archive link a little while ago and
here it is 6 months later!

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, "Alfred W. Tüting" wrote:
> Apart from all this sounding very familiarily Chinese to me, here's my
> query: how's this in Siouan etymology? As for Dakota, the word for
> 'season/year' _omaka_ obviously comprises _maka_ [makxa'] 'earth' etc.
> plus the locative (or whatever) prefix _o-_.

I'm sure there's a connection.  In fact, there was a discussion of this in
2001 that you can consult in the list archives at:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?S2=siouan&q=year+earth&s=&f=&a=&b=

In general these terms are homophonous or nearly so throughout the family
and in a lot of other places, too.