[Spam:0005 SpamScore] RE: Tomahittan?

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Wed Nov 9 15:03:07 UTC 2005

>  Is there a connection to Ojibwa 'odana/odanah'.

I don't think so, although I'm not the person to ask.  I originally thought  the town of Tama in Iowa, home of the Iowa Fox, might be an Algonquian borrowing of the Siouan and Muskogean 'town' word, but apparently the spelling stands for [tema] (don't now about V length) and has an Algonquian source.