Tomahittan?

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Wed Nov 9 15:24:42 UTC 2005

Hi Anthony,

The whole idea of the list is to enable us to make equal opportunity twits of ourselves!   :-)

The problem is the "chito" part.  Too bad we can't have the Choctaw tamaha (which I've also personally heard as [tomaha] ) and the Ohio Val. Siouan -itan 'big'.  Together they make a beautiful pair.  Short of positing a new Siouan-Choctaw creole, I can't make it work.  My recollection is that the explorers who wrote about the Tomahitans spent some time with them and probably got the name right.  But who knows?

Oh, by the way, the message didn't go off-list for some reason.

Bob