'town'

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 10 15:38:04 UTC 2005

Well, offhand I can't give any reasons why that *couldn't* have happened,
but it definitely would have had to happen at the Proto-Algonquian level, no
later. Then the question arises as to whether the Proto-Algonquians were
geographically anywhere near the Proto-Siouans. I tend to think not, but
what do I know?

If Proto-Algonquian borrowed it, it very likely didn't borrow it as
*/ohti/, since Proto-Algonquian had preaspirated obstruents, and this
etymon for sure has a plain */t/ in Algonquian.

Dave