Loans Back and Forth: 'bow'

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Fri Nov 11 19:39:11 UTC 2005

> I may have missed something here. Is "bow" reconstructible for Proto-Siouan?

No.  The terms in Mississippi Valley Siouan are ALL borrowed from Algonquian either directly or indirectly.  Chiwere/Winnebago look like Menomini, Dhegiha looks like Illinois.  So the term isn't even reconstructible to MVS as different versions were borrowed in each of the major subgroups.  Tutelo also borrows the term (translated 'gun' in lists).  The Ofo term, $leka, is unidentifiable.  I don't know about Crow, Hidatsa or Mandan.