Loans Back and Forth: 'bow'

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 11 21:45:08 UTC 2005

Judging purely from what you've said here, I suspect aNksapi originally was
the 'bow' word.

Dave

Offhand, I don't have an actual Biloxi gloss for "bow."  'aNksi' appears to
be the word used for 'arrow' and 'aNksapi' for 'gun.'  However, the word
'aNksapixti' is given by Dorsey to mean "bow and arrows."  The -xti suffix
here is the augmentative suffix meaning 'large' or 'very,' which would seem
to make it "large gun" (?).

Dave

What about Biloxi and Tutelo?