"bow"

David Kaufman dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 00:57:32 UTC 2005

Thanks, Bob.  It'll be interesting to see where else this 'real' -xti suffix pops up.

Biloxi 'horse', by the way, D-S showed as 'tohoxka'.  I think I've settled on 'tahoxka' based on Haas's interview with the last Biloxi speaker where she transcribed the first syllable as t +(schwa).  Haas commented that she thought this first syllable, ta-, may be the word for deer, 'ta,' (which may actually be 'tha' with aspiration).  I have no clue what the -hoxka ending would be here though.

Dave

"Rankin, Robert L" <rankin at ku.edu> wrote:
> So does this -xti ending also occur in other Siouan languages in this context? So far I'd only found the D-S (Dorsey-Swanton) big or very gloss, but this 'real' gloss certainly makes more sense!

Yes, it's not uncommon to see it (or its analog, -xca) used in this way. *ihta is the original term for 'deer' and forms the basis for the deer term in most of the languages. But in at least some (maybe all) Dakotan dialects the reflex, tha, is also used famously in tha thaNka '(bull) buffalo', and the ordinary white tailed deer is referred to as tha xca 'real deer'. I've never heard of it being used with the dog/horse pair, but -xti means 'real, true' pretty routinely as well as being an augmentative. Bob