"bow"

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Nov 14 18:10:19 UTC 2005

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, David Costa wrote:
> Well, I think it's really a Siouanist's judgement call as to whether that
> kind of borrowing is likely, tho I can at least say that in Algonquian, that
> /-api/ part is the part that means 'string'.

It would make sense to refer to a bow in terms of "string (or sinew)
projection" of darts as opposed to "thrower (atlatl) projection."  I think
the usual way archaeologists distinguish the two technologies, since
throwers and bows aren't usually preserved, is from the size of the
projectile heads.  Thrown darts are somewhat larger and heavier than
bow-launched darts.  Otherwise I think they are fairly similar in
construction, and the elements that do get preserved - points and the
tools for producing and maintaining the points and shafts - are similar,
though different in size.

I had been thinking that Biloxi aNksi 'arrow, bullet' vs. aNksapi(=xti)
might involve -sapi 'black'.  There are various difficulties with that,
however, - mainly the missing -si-, and though I think this approach would
bear further consideration, the comparison of -api with the Algonquian
'bowstring' final that Bob suggests is also interesting.  On the other
hand, a compound of a Siouan noun and an Algonquian final seems a bit
unusual.

Identical or similar (related) terms for bullet and arrow is a pretty
standard pattern.  MaN is 'arrow(head)' in OP, and I think I have seen
that for 'bullet' as well as maNzemaN 'metal arrow'.

We might want to be a bit careful in assuming that Biloxi aNksapi 'gun'
vs. aNksapi=xti 'real aNksapi' = 'bow and arrows' derives from a form
actually referring to bow technology.  I suspect that a form coined to
refer to or describe a gun could also take =xti to make it refer to a bow.

We've discussed 'bow' terms before, extensively.  You can search at

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/siouan.html

Note:  (word1) and (word2) is the way to get posts with word1 and word2 as
opposed to word1 word2 which gets posts with the phrase "word1 word2."