Lakota word for "bubble" ?

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Tue Oct 11 17:57:56 UTC 2005

>   I have been asked to find the ihunk ihanni or "the old way," of saying
"bubble" in Lakota.

The only way I have seen it translated is anahlohlo. <<

 From your sample (anahlohlo, [ana'h^loh^lo]), I assume that you mean
the verb "to bubble (up)". With this sense I also found:
anapsapsa [ana'ps^aps^a] - Buechel: boil up, come up, as bubbles on the
water (cf. psa [ps^a] - to sneeze, psapsa s'e - appearing disorderly),
apablublu [apa'blublu] - to bubble up with many bubbles (cf. apablu - to
crush to powder on anything, to belch, to bubble up, as air from the
water; anablu - to kick dust or dirt on).
anahlohlo - bubble up, as in boiling (cf. anahloka - to wear a hole(!)
in, as in a moccasin, on smth.; hlohloka [h^loh^o'ka] - full of
holes(!); hlokA - hollow, a hollow; hlogeca [h^loge'ca] - poor, thin, as
a sick man, hollow, as a tree).
So it seems to me that the ideas behind might be 'hole/hollow' (hlo),
'dust/dirt' i.e. little pieces (blu) and '(burst to) sneeze' (psa).

There's also: tapsiza [txapsi'za] or tapsipsiza - to bubble up, come up,
as bubbles on water; also: tapsija [txapsi'z^a] or anatapsiza
[ana'txapsiz^a]; cf. psica [psi'ca] - jumping(!), psicala - flea,
psipsicala [psipsi'cala] - grasshopper, psipsicala [psi'psicala] - the
jumping mouse etc.
So, in this case the meaning seems quite evident as also in Bavarian
slang, soda pop is sometimes called 'hupfats Wossa' - 'hüpfendes Wasser'
in High German -, which literally is 'jumping water' ;-)

I'm ignorant whether or not there are still older ways in Lakota to give
the idea of 'bubble'.

Alfred