Winnebago Aspiration

Jimm GoodTracks goodtracks at gbronline.com
Fri Sep 2 15:24:58 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Koontz John E" <John.Koontz at colorado.edu>
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2005 10:05 PM
Subject: Winnebago Aspiration

> To sum up the results, Long seems to have been somewhat hit or miss in
> hearing h.  He never adds one that isn't there today, but often omits one
> that is.  It doesn't seem to matter whether h is epenthetic or organic as
> far as when he misses it.  Most of the examples are organic h, however.

John:
It may be coincidence or an earlier pronunciation, but Dorsey consistantly
has no "h" for the following:
hina'ge (woman) > DOR   ina'ge
hina's^age (old woman) > ina'sh^age  DOR
ha'xoje (ashes)  >  DOR   a'xoje

I believe I've noted other instances, but I'd have to scour his original IOM
texts, and I haven't the time to do that.  These words came immediately to
me.
Jimm