Rain in the faces daughter?

Bruce Ingham bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Mon Sep 5 11:29:14 UTC 2005

Dear Siouanists
A friend of mine over here who is doing ongoing research on the Buffalo Bill
Wild West show visits to England asks the following:.

³Basically what it's about is that there was a music hall act in the early
20th century, featuring one 'Montana Bill' who claimed that he had been with
the Wild West show.

He left a handwritten manuscript, with all manner of extraordianry statments
in it. He claimed to have been closely associated with Buffalo Bill. He also
said that his mother was an Oglala Lakota and daughter of Rain in the Face,
named Ne-Oska-Letta. If you don't understand this, I'm not surprised as I'm
pretty sure the whole thing is a lie anyway.

In Mexican Joe's show, there was a lady whose (stage) name was Neosreleata.
She was billed as an Apache, but I have good reason to suppose that she was
really a Winnebago. I also suspect that this is where Montana Bill got the
name from.

If you are unable to identify either version of the name as Lakota, I think
that tells its own story, and confirms my suspicions.

Thanks Bruce!

Yours,

Tom²

  Are either of the two names Ne-Oska-Letta or Neosreleata familiar to
anyone ?

Bruce