Is this a Lakota sentence?

Jonathan Holmes okibjonathan at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 6 16:46:45 UTC 2005

Bruce,
This helps a great deal. Thanks for taking the time with it. Just one question though. Is there much of a difference between the use of oglu and the use of wa'pika for the term "fortune"?
Thanks,
Jonathan

Bruce Ingham <bi1 at soas.ac.uk> wrote:
Hi there
It looks as though it is intended to mean “Little Brother go with good fortune around the world  or all over the world” .  However I don’t know whether it is correct in Lakota or is a translation from another language like English.  MisuN is the vocative use “Oh Little Brother”.  Oglu does mean ‘fortune, luck’, although I have not seen it used often.  Makha Sitomni or Makha sitomniyaN means ‘all over the world’.  The yalo part is slightly odd.  If it means ‘he goes’ one would expect yelo.  If it means “go!”. One would expect yayo or iyayo.
Bruce