Is this a Lakota sentence?

Jonathan Holmes okibjonathan at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 6 17:04:16 UTC 2005

Alfred,
Thanks for taking the time to help out with this.
Jonathan

"Alfred W. Tüting" <ti at fa-kuan.muc.de> wrote:
> Misun oglu waste maka sitomni yalo
It looks like Lakota (primarily because I recognize waste or "good" and
maka or "earth" as being Lakota), but the rest I'm not so sure about. Is
it perhaps because of mis-spelled words? <<

Yes it is! But I'd guess it should be rather:

"Misun, oglu waste maka sitomni yelo!"
[misuN' oglu' was^te' makxa' sito'mni yelo']

which I'd - quite hesitantly - translate as:

"My younger brother, good luck throughout (the) earth (male speech)!"

oglu - luck, fortune; to befall one
(so MAYBE: 'oglu waste' is meant as 'good luck' - which I'd judge as an
Anglicism)

sitomni - all over, throughout

Please don't ask wether or not this is good Lakota. (or my translation
is erroneous :-( ).

Toksa ake

Alfred

Be a friend...
Help support the Lakota Communities on Pine Ridge,
go to:   http://FriendsofPineRidgeReservation.org