Is this a Lakota sentence?

cantemaza mckay020 at umn.edu
Wed Sep 7 22:07:48 UTC 2005

Based on the original text in the first e-mail  with "Misun, oglu waste
maka sitomni yelo!",
the translation of "Younger brother, there are good things around the
world." does fit.  Of course if this were from a conversation, based on
what was being discussed, it could take on even more meanings.  This is
very important to remember and something that I try to pass on to my
students of the Dakota language.  Context and meaning are very important
to the speaker and it can be very hard to just say "Hey!  What does this
phrase mean??"  Yes, the speaker does throw their spin and personal
interpretatiopn on these words/phrases which makes it even more
necessary to be mindful when working with the langauge and including the
indigenous perspective instead of saying "This is the one and only way
to say this."   Thanks for asking around.  It is much appreciated!

-Cantemaza de miye do!